Monday, August 30, 2010
The barn starts to look more like a building instead of skeleton, though, when it has siding up.
We'll be working in the evenings this week to see if we can at least finish this end. The north end is going to take more work as we first have to put down the floor for the tack room and then hang the siding. But it is coming along.
Saturday, August 21, 2010
Then we spent the next weekend getting the most of the interior walls up. We cannot do the end walls until we have the outside siding up, but that'll come soon. The stall walls aren't done yet - we still have to put a vertical 2 x 4 up in the middle of each stall wall. That helps pull the wall together and eliminates gaps and bulges.
Friday, July 30, 2010
So we rented a bobcat to move the dirt. Spencer did the driving - I was afraid I would knock down the barn. I did take one spin in the bobcat towards the end of the day, and it was pretty cool. The bobcat made short work of moving the dirt into the barn.
Spencer put several loads of dirt into each stall, and then I started raking dirt around. That's hard work! At the end of the day, we had a lot of dirt in the barn but still a lot of work to do.
Thursday, July 15, 2010
Before building up the floor, though, we put metal sheathing around most of the upright posts. This will prevent my beavers, also know as horses, from chewing the supports into two. They love to chew wood. They love to drive me insane.
After putting the sheathing up, we put the first board up of each stall on the outside of the barn and down the barn aisle. When we bring the dirt in, we'll put dirt part-way up that board and then build the stall walls on top of it. We also took our left over boards and put a partial stall wall up on the far side. We wanted to see how it would look.
Thursday, July 1, 2010
Tuesday, May 4, 2010
Spencer got the overhangs up, all the fascia boards up and put all the 1 x 4 tack strips up. On April 13th, we ordered the tin for the roof and then found a few areas that needed shimming before we could put the roof on.
This Saturday we had the first horse show of the season (and my first in five years!), so we didn't start work until Sunday. Spencer had some areas on the roof to touch up before we could start putting up tin, so we didn't really start until after lunch.
Our first job was to figure out how to get the sheets of tin up there. They pieces for the upper tier of the roof are 3 foot by 8 foot - not too big or heavy, but they can be a pain to haul on the roof. We ended up using some boards to make a ramp. We clamped a rope to the sheet, I pushed it up the ramp and Spencer tugged it up to the top.
After we got the first sheet square and strung a string line to help keep the sheets straight, roofing went pretty quickly. Within a few hours, Spencer had the entire upper tier on one side done. He needs to go back and put a lot more screws in to keep it 'extra secure', but it is looking great!
The tin for the lower tier is harder to wrangle. It is 3 foot by 14 foot and heavier. On Sunday, we used our ramp but struggled to get the tin up. We got two pieces done before it got too late. On Monday, we drug two more pieces up, this time carrying them up ladders (Spencer on one ladder, me on another). Then the wind kicked in and we had to stop. We may try to get some more done in the evenings this week.
Wednesday, March 10, 2010
On Saturday, Spencer got right to work while I took care of a few other things. Our goal was to get the lower roof on the north side completely ready for tin. Spencer ended up crawling around in the rafters while I cut the 1 x 4s and handed them up to him to nail down. His parents came and put in a few hours of work, too. They cleaned up the building site (A HUGE help!) and his dad took over the duty of cutting boards and handing them up to Spencer. We all had lunch and then they headed back to College Station.
We finished all the 1 x 4 strips and then Spencer went up to the upper level of the barn to cut the rafters so the ends were even and I attached rafters to support boards with Simpson Strong Ties. We ran out of daylight before I finished the strong ties, but Spencer did the rafters measured and cut off even.
On Sunday, we got up and got to work. I was putting on the rest of the strong ties while Spencer cut the fascia board for the upper section of the roof and put together the boards for the overhang. And then it started raining. It rained just enough to get everything wet, making it too slippery to climb around on the rafters. I finished the strong ties and we quit for the day.
We're hoping to get in a day of work this coming weekend. If we can do that, the barn will finally be ready for the roof!